Universal Access To All Knowledge
Home Donate | Store | Blog | FAQ | Jobs | Volunteer Positions | Contact | Bios | Forums | Projects | Terms, Privacy, & Copyright

Poster: light into ashes Date: Mar 5, 2010 9:09pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Dylan

I would agree that Dylan did some amazing shows in the '90s. (I don't know about the last decade, haven't caught up.) There are bunches of tapes I heard that were just jaw-dropping, spine-chilling wonders. Though I don't remember dates now...I remember a couple really good ones were from June '95 (one where Garcia came on). '95 was like a resurrection for Dylan - I mean, I remember '93/94 had some good stuff too, but starting with the early Europe '95 tour where Bob had the flu & sang a show or two with no guitar - GOD, it was unbelievable. Then '96, he had such a sweet sound, some wonderful performances....anyway, '97 to about 2000/2001 was a golden age for Dylan performances, the voice might've declined a bit but the music was very countryish & soothing.
Any Dylan period takes some adjusting, though.... Sometimes he's a shouter, sometimes a talker, sometimes a mumbler - there are tours when he's been really bombastic, had backing singers etc - other times when he speeds through everything - often I've been taken aback (not in a good way) the first time I heard a show.

Poster: fenario80 Date: Mar 8, 2010 10:01am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Dylan

The first time I saw Bob was with the Dead in Anaheim in 1987 and it was pretty awful (except for the amazing band). Then I saw him in 1989 with the Tin Machine boys, which it was a lot of fun, but I thought that the opening act (The Pogues fronted by Joe Strummer) was a lot better. The next time I saw him he had the band that included Charlie Sexton, and every time I saw that band they put on a great show. I know what you mean about the inconsistency though: the more tapes I've accumulated the more I've come to believe he does most of his best work at small shows outside the US, although the best tapes I have are still the LA El Rey Theatre shows from late 97.
The last time I saw him was two consecutive shows on the East Coast in August of 2008 and while I loved that band (can't remember the name of the guy who replaced Charlie, but he and Larry Campbell made some beautiful music together) the vocals were really lacking and I missed Bob's guitar too. No idea what they might be like now that Charlie is back.

Poster: snow_and_rain Date: Mar 6, 2010 9:46am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Dylan

I saw Dylan in Prague in '94. The only time I ever saw him live. I thought he and his band sounded surprisingly good. I was expecting it to suck. I think my last reference point was an appearance in Letterman that was absolutely awful. It was his first time playing there and the crowd was waaaaaay into it.

Poster: bluedevil Date: Mar 8, 2010 10:16am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Dylan

I was at that Prague show! They and he were great that night. Maybe it had to do with the earlier in the day Havel interaction as Dylan gave Havel some of his own handwritten lyrics/notebooks.

Poster: snow_and_rain Date: Mar 8, 2010 12:24pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Dylan

Wow, cool man. Yeah, I thought it was a really great show. He had a very talented band with him on that tour. I'll never forget the crowd's reaction to Blowing in the Wind. His old songs were really revered by the Czech audience.

Hey, look what I found!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TPc4mSO93c

Poster: bluedevil Date: Mar 8, 2010 12:37pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Dylan

My wife is a Prague native and she was blown away at the end of the night by how much of the music she knew and sort of had tucked away in her mind as Czech originals because she'd grown up singing them in Czech in the pubs and around the campfire. Magic night. Thanks for the link.

Poster: snow_and_rain Date: Mar 8, 2010 12:40pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Dylan

There are lots more too! I never even thought to search for this before. So glad that I did..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWDP6zDbZ_Y

Poster: bluedevil Date: Mar 8, 2010 12:47pm